A remarkable event began in Covina, CA in November of 2012. The community saw the birth of a new project started by the Covina Rotary Club on the fields of Sierra Vista Middle School. For the entire week preceding Veteran’s Day, two thousand American flags flew as a patriotic tribute honoring all Veterans and Active Duty Military Personnel for their dedication and service to our nation, preserving our security and our freedom. Visitors and volunteers from the surrounding communities experienced an amazing sense of patriotism while viewing and honoring a display of the flags – star spangled banners standing tall and proud, and by participating in various activities during the week ending on Veterans’ Day.
The majority of the flags were sponsored and specifically dedicated by groups and individuals honoring a friend or family member. Throughout the week, various speakers, concerts, student tours, and military fly-overs made the field an exciting and magnificent tribute to our veterans.
What a better way to spend Veteran’s Day than to take your family to witness this awe-inspiring sight? If you go please remember to snap a few pictures and share them on our Instagram (@CovinaResidents) and Facebook Fan page (Covina Residents).
Events have been planned for every day of the Field of Valor. Docents are there from 10:00 to dusk every day. The following are the proposed 2014 events:
- November 8 – To participate in the Flag Procession, meet at 8:00am at Sierra Vista School parking lot on Puente street. The Procession will begin at 8:30am at Grand at Puente.
- November 9 – Opening Ceremonies 10:00 am
- November 11 – Veterans Day Ceremonies 10:00 am
- November 12 – School Field Trips Field open at 2:00 (Scout night & Flag Retirement Ceremony 6:30)
- November 13 – All Clubs Day, Field Trips, Field open at 2:00
- November 14 – School Field Trips Field open at 2:00
- November 15 – Closing Ceremonies 10:00 am
- November 16 – Striking the Field 10:00 am
Where will the Field of Valor take place?
Sierra Vista Middle School will host the Field of Valor. Sierra Vista is located at 777 Puente Avenue, Covina, on the northwest corner of Grand and Puente.
info source: http://covinafieldofvalor.org/