Your real estate agent is a marketing consultant with just one goal: getting your home sold. And since you’ll pay thousands of dollars whether the agent does a poor job or an outstanding job, it just makes sense to hire the best agent you can find.
Most folks hire the first agent they interview. That’s a great way to hire a terrible agent. Here are five signs you’re working with an inferior agent:
- They sell the “average” number of properties. The top 10-15% of agents handle nearly all real estate transactions. If you’re not working with one of those top agents, you’re going to be disappointed. And don’t be fooled by how many millions of dollars worth of homes they sold last year. In an average market, $1 million of real estate represents just eight homes.
- They’re a part-time or discount agent. You want a high-octane, high-energy agent who knows what needs to be done and is willing to do the work to get your home sold. Part-time and discount agents won’t have the time or marketing dollars to devote to selling your home.
- They don’t have a knack for selling. If your agent can’t sell you on what a great agent they are, they won’t be any good at selling your home either. Selling is an art—and you’re looking for a natural.
- They’re too nice to tell you the truth. Ask potential agents to give you suggestions on what to change in your home to help it sell. You want an agent to give a tough critique of your home without worrying that their honesty might lose you as a client.
- They haven’t gotten the job done. The latest numbers show that half of all homes sell in 70 days or less. If your home has been on the market more than three months with few showings and no offers, it’s time for a serious talk with your agent. The longer your home stays on the market, the tougher it will be to sell for the price you want.
Yesenia has been a full time Real Estate Broker for over 10 years and averages over 50 homes sold per year , she would love to help you too! Call/text/email her for a quick, hassle free, market analysis of your home. Its FREE so you have nothing to loose!
Direct Cell: (626) 252-0839
Office: (626) 917-6200 ext 14
Article featured on DaveRamsey.com